Friday, September 30, 2016

Attracting Foodies in the Airport

I’m sitting in a black chair connected to about ten others. In front of me is Ducky’s. Behind me is Bay & Tea Company and the CNBC smartshop. To my right: Auntie Anne’s. And to my left is Starbucks. Now, what place would have five different restaurants so close together? A mall? An airport? Well, I am at Tampa International Airport. And now, my flight has been delayed. Thanks Tampa storms. But, you could say it’s a place foodies want their flights to be delayed.

How do people choose which restaurants they want to eat at over layovers? Whether it’s a quick hour layover or a long three-hour layover, you want people to come to your place. Now, how do you attract the antsy, focused passengers that just want to get to their final destination?

You have to know who your target audience is. The layover crowd can be quite different. Are you looking for those families that head straight to the food court and the small convenience stands that run along the edges of the hallways? Or are you targeting the kind of person or group that likes to hunker down and have a few beers and appetizers between flights? These would definitely be businessmen and businesswoman who have experience with the layover situation.

What do they want? Well, people in the business-world need outlets on outlets on outlets. They’re throwing back a few beers, munching on some spinach and artichoke dip, and sending some emails. And they are drinking some beer so you probably should throw some sports on a couple T.V.’s and maybe some news channels, too.

Those who travel for business often fly through the same airports to the same final destination. You want loyal customers. You want customers that come back every time they are in that airport. You want them to tell their colleagues about their awesome experience and that awesome, unique beer they had. So, don’t go cheap. Spend a little more to get a little more.


I’m still sitting here at the Tampa airport and yes; my flight has been delayed because of the torrential downpour that magically appeared (but what’s new, right?). According to thrillest.com, Tampa International Airport is ranked 56th when it comes to having the best food and drinks in the United States. I’d say that’s pretty good. I have now convinced myself to walk the hallways to see what options there are. Now, what restaurant suits a 21-year-old college girl who just wants to get home to Virginia for the weekend? I’d sure like to be in the #1 ranked Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.


Sources: https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-airports-for-food-and-drink-best-american-airports-for-eating  

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observations about airport dining and food trucks! I really like the Cuban restaurant at the Tampa airport. I remember it from my interview here last year, but haven't had the opportunity to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic, I love sitting down at an airport and having something to eat and drink as the service is always quick compared to other restaurants outside an airport.

    ReplyDelete